News & Events
'Contested Resonances' Virtual Conference 29-30 July 2021
'Sounding Conflict' Virtual Conference 29th-30th July 2021
Contested Resonances: Creativity, Listening and Performance in Conflict Transformation
Call for Papers
This interdisciplinary conference will examine conflict and post-conflict contexts through sound in performative practice. Themes include: peacebuilding efforts by music-based community arts initiatives; sonic-arts and theatrical re-soundings of conflict; creative and musical interventions in conflict and post-conflict societies; sound-based methodologies for exploring the narratives and everyday experiences of people in post-conflict contexts. We also welcome papers that explore the nature of creative processes and practices in conflict and post-conflict settings through theatre, movement, visual and plastic arts, and film as they relate to sound.
We invite papers that discuss a range of issues around:
- Sounding out the lived experience of people in conflict and post-conflict contexts
- Intersensorial analyses of creative practices for understanding conflict
- Processes of sound in the historical auditory imagination/remembering of conflict
- Practices of listening towards peacebuilding
- The poetics, performativity and politics of sound and movement in conflict/post-conflict contexts
- The role of sound technologies in shaping creative interventions
- The relationship between sound and (contested) place-making
- Innovative methodologies that utilise sound (or other creative practice)
- Individual papers (20 minutes plus 10 minutes of discussion)
- Panels (3 related papers of 90 minutes in total, including discussion)
- Presentation of soundworks, films or other media
1. We invite you to send paper abstracts (max. 500 words) or panel proposals (max. 1500 words) for one of the following categories:
2. Please submit your abstracts to Easychair.org by 30th March 2021. Please note, an Easychair account is required to make your submission. If you do not have an Easychair account, please use the link provided to create a free account. Account Creation and Submission. To view the Conference details and make a submission after your account is created, please return to this site and click this link Easychair Submission.
Proposals will be evaluated anonymously by peer review process. Please note, we are unable to fund participation in the conference.
3. Successful applicants will be notified by 5.00pm on 30th April 2021. Participants will be required to upload any pre-recorded video presentations by 15th June 2021 when notified.
For more information and any submission queries, please contact our Project Manager, Christina Captieux firstname.lastname@example.org